רבי מאיר בעל הנס
According to the Yerushalmi (Kelaim 9:3), R. Meir died in
(חוץ לארץ (אסיא and his body was placed in the sea in חו"ל.
The first source that mentions R. Meir’s burial place
in E. Y. is in the Sefer גלילות ארץ ישראל. He writes that R. Meir
the Tanna is buried in the city of Tveryah.
The Seder Hadoros quotes the same Sefer גלילות א"י
who writes, " R. Yitzchok from Gush Chalav and
R. Meir Baal Haness are both buried in Gush Chalav. The
Gelilos E.Y. also writes that he doesn’t know who they were.
R. Yakov Lipshutz in his Sefer Zichron Yakov (vol 2 p 30) writes,
"The pushkes for the poor in Eretz Yisroel were named after an
Ish Chasid V’kadosh who lived in Eretz Hakodesh a few hundred
years ago. He was famous – and was called R. Meir Baal Haness”.
Two of the most prominent and respected Frum historians
(R. Yechiel Heilprin- Seder Hadoros & R. Yaakov Lipschutz -
Zichron Yaakov ) both believed, that R. Meir Baal Haness
and the Tanna R.Meir were two different people.
1) R.M. is buried in Tveryah RMBH is buried in Gush Chalav
2) Seder Hadoros & Gelilos E.Y. both don’t know who R.M.B.H. was
3) Zichron Yaakov claims R.M.B.H. lived a few hundred years ago
R.M. the Tanna lived two thousand years ago.
4) To donate L’iluy Nishmas a Tanna who was niftar 2,000 years ago
A Neshama from 2000 years has reached its peak a long time ago.
5) The hundreds of Tanoim & Amoraim most of whom were
also, מלומדים בנסים yet their Neshama doesn't need an Aliyah
and the Tanna R.Meir needs our Zchusim for his Aliyas Neshama.
6) The Loshon, בעל הנס is not found in Shas. In Gemoro
, we only find the term מלומד בניסים.